Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wandering Taoism: Tao Te Ching--Twenty

Give up on learning, and put an end to your troubles.


Is there a difference between yes and no?
Is there a difference between good and evil?
Must I fear what others fear? What nonsense!
Other people are contented, enjoying the sacrificial feast of the ox.
In spring some go to the park, and climb the terrace,
But I alone am drifting, not knowing where I am.
Like a newborn babe before it learns to smile,
I am alone, without a place to go.


Others have more than they need, but I alone have nothing.
I am a fool. Oh, yes! I am confused.
Others are clear and bright,
But I alone am dim and weak.
Others are sharp and clever,
But I alone am dull and stupid.
Oh, I drift like the waves of the sea,
Without direction, like the restless wind.


Everyone else is busy,
But I alone am aimless and depressed.
I am different.
I am nourished by the great mother.


The above passage found me. It was the first one I turned to while "playing magic book." In essence, it basically describes my life and outlook. Overall, It describes a wanderer who doesn't know a lot of the things most people who live in society know. It describes a vagabond who doesn't think like everyone else. It describes a nomad who is raised by nature. It is saying to go out, with an empty mind, and just experience, and you will eventually gather all you need to know. You must be an empty vessel. Knowledge and wisdom are nothing compared to the things you can see and experience in the wide world and nature.


"Give up on learning and put an end to your troubles." Learning isn't living. Learning is just schooling. It is just collecting useless facts and such. They just cloud up your mind, not leaving enough space for the important things to rest. Learning, especially when attending to the questions of "Why," just creates unneeded stress that can be avoided when you just live life as an empty vessel.


To be a wander is like Wu Wei. I think that is what this section is basically getting out. It is stressing natural action and doing while not doing. "Oh, I drift like the waves of the sea, without direction like the restless wind." The waves of the sea and the wind are all natural. They follow their own paths, yet they get things accomplished. They do what is natural. The wanderer described in this passage does this as well. It is saying to just go along, and everything that you need will come to you. It is natural. You don't need to be bright or clever. You will know things other people are too blind to know. Their heads are too full of facts and figures, and they are trying to hard to find the answers. When, really, the answers will come to you.


The world will teach you everything you need to know.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the part that if you just live and experience things for what they are not for what you know them to be that the answers will come to you. There by relieving you of the excess stress of trying to find answers and removing the blind fold to reveal the world of Tao. However, I think there is another side to you "Learning isn't living" but maybe that living is learning. For every time you live and experience something you learn/take something from it.As for the wanderer maybe he knows more than those that live in society know for he is not blind and is therefore letting the true answers come to him rather than searching for those that may not be right or blinded by society to those that are there in front of our very eyes.

    ReplyDelete