Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Trungpas alright with me

This was definetly my favorite piece we have had to read so far becasue it really corresponds to my own beleifs. I understood and fully agreed with his argument in the beginning about westerners thinking they have to give up their worldly possessions and become strict followers and perhaps move to Nepal just to look the part of "enlightened". "we think our path is spiritual because it is literally against the flow of what we used to be, but this is merely the way of false heriosm" I couldnt help but think about all the Birkenstock clad yuppies sitting in coffee houses in Burlington just eating up all types of Buddhist writing thinking to themselves of how clever they are that they gave up their selfish western ways and are now examples of how enlightened one can be. The hard way to them is this change of culture that they are now undertaking but that is really not the Hard Way at all. I did have a tough time figuring out the part about the strange doctor, slowly operating with no anaesthetic. I beleive it was about how difficult the hard way is but it sounded pretty extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment