Thursday, January 21, 2010

Simple 71

Knowing ignorance is strength
Ignoring knowledge is sickness

If one is sick of sickness, then one is not sick.
The sage is not sick because he is sick of sickness
Therefore he is not sick.

Well this reading jumped out to me becasue it was short, to the point and easy to understand. I liked it alot becasue I didnt have to pull it apart piece by piece to figure out what Lao Tsu was teaching. I think the sickness is not just physical sickness, but anything debilitating or unhealthy going on in the world or ourselves. I took the most important line to be " The sage is not sick becasue he is sick of sickness" but Im not sure how to express the message easily. Obviously the sage is not sick becasue he is aware of the sickness and is sick of it. But he is not sick in the sense of sickness, but sick of the presecene of sickness. Therefore he is not sick.

1 comment:

  1. This passage is interesting because it shows a redundance in Lao Tsu's writing that is pretty common in many of the passages. I dont really get it?

    ReplyDelete