Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Principles, commandments, and the eightfold path.


This reading reminded me of the basic principles you find in many religions. Be good, do right, etc. These are basic principles people follow in order to lead righteous lives. I would say that I follow similar principles as a compassionate human being, living so that I don't hurt others or things unnecessarily. In society we are expected to live by certain ideals, and these aren't much different. I appreciated the simplicity of the words and ideas presented here, though I found it slightly redundant when thinking of any other religion and the principles dictated to live by. This passage didn't smack of religion like, say, the Ten Commandments in Christianity, but they are ideals, or 'commandments' to live by all the same. I enjoy reading the ideas of other religions and groups of people because it helps me to better understand my own principles and judgement in my own life. Although personally I don't feel the need to accept everything as it is presented because I like to think for myself and choose to live as I see fit. All in all, I enjoyed reading this perspective on the principles necessary to be a conscientious, and caring human being.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comment on how the eight fold path tends to be an underlying theme with other religions even though they may not be exactly 100% the same they are very similiar.

    ReplyDelete