Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ethical Conduct?

Something about 3 of the 8 Noble Eightfold Path (rules?) did not in my mind seem to match the rest. As I read the Noble Eightfold Path I noticed that the Ethical Conduct section didnt have the same "voice" or maybe theme as the rest. I felt that the Wisdom and Mental Development were philosopical veiws for achieving an enlightened state but Ehtical Conduct sounded more preachy and authoritive. Wisdim and Intellectual growth is to me what pholisophy is all about, not a guidebook for acheiving a higher state.
"to talk only when necessary" I get that this means to not be a gossip or waste words gabbing, but isnt conversation and discussion, such as debate, an important part of philopsophy?

Right Action was fine with me. No problem here

But Right Livelihood jumped right out at me. Slave trade and Prostitution aside, which to me seems to be covered in point 1 and 2 in Right Action, whats wrong with butchers, package stores and outfitters? I am understanding these rules to mean I should be a unarmed sober vegetarian? No thanks.

My personal veiws aside, I think the Noble Eightfold path is more for someone looking for a philosphy that can tell them what to do. I might be interpretting the message here wrong, or maybe I just can get over my own opinions to see a larger meaning, but Im working on understanding Buddhism. I think I undertood Tao better.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about conversation and discussion, particularly idle conversation. The most poignant humor I can remember has been the result of directionless chatting and mindless meanderings, not the result of some careful intelectual journey, and this kind of humor makes me appreciate my experience in life far more than any academic or religious endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's just what I want to believe, but I think there is an argument for joking as meaningful speech in Buddhism. For one, I think humor helps us achieve a satori0-like mental state.

    ReplyDelete