Monday, February 1, 2010

The Eightfold Path

All of the ideas in this eightfold path are familiar to me. I've seen them worded differently and in different contexts in the Bible.
What stuck out to me the most was the final path, Right Concentration. I've heard about meditation before and know the basic idea is to be able to focus on thoughts and experiences in order to better understand and learn from them. I'm not very good at taking time to try and concentrate on anything. It's hard. But what I really liked about the explanation that was given in this article was the reason for learning to concentrate. "The Buddhist method of choice to develop right concentration is through the practice of meditation. The meditating mind focuses on a selected object. It first directs itself onto it, then sustains concentration, and finally intensifies concentration step by step. Through this practice it becomes natural to apply elevated levels concentration also in everyday situations." If I learn how to concentrate on specific thoughts or experiences in my own head, then perhaps I can bring that ability to concentrate into everyday life.

In the New Testament of the Holy Bible Paul talks about what we should keep our minds focused on in a letter the the Phillipian church. Chapter 4, verse 8: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things."
These ideas are very similar right?
I want to think about things such as this, but it's very easy to let my mind wander. Maybe I should take the time to learn to meditate.

No comments:

Post a Comment